 Off-Topic / Debate / 9866
Re: Geology from Outer Space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 18:39:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

You might ask instead why the Noachian Flood myth so closely mirrors a much
earlier Sumerian myth, even down to "two of each kind of animal."

Both Nova and National Geographic have recently done pieces on new findings
that suggest a catastrophic flood of the Black Sea did indeed occur x
thousands of years ago.  I can't really remember the details, but I believe
that the event is hypothesized to have occured as a result of tectonic
movements that allowed the Mediteranean to flow through a fissure into the
Black Sea basin.  One of the scientists in the Nova episode commented that,
in the scenario being considered, the flood could have displaced settlement
at the rate of a mile a day. Submersibles have been used to find settlement
remains some distance  from the present coastline.  This of course doesn't
prove anything in itself, but it is interesting that the scientific
community is beginning to lend credence to the possibility of a catastrophic
flood of some nature that had a marked impact on a focus point of developing
civilization.

  I've seen bits about that on Good Morning America and now and then on CNN,
but I'm not up on the latest info.  What I recall is that the water flow
into the Black Sea exceeded the rate over Niagara falls for a period (if I
remember correctly) of years!  That's a lot of moisture!
  Such a flood is an amazing thing to consider, and I'm sure that the people
at ground zero when the fissure opened felt that a catastrophe was going on.
I just don't know how far-reaching or pervasive the effects of such a
(relatively) localized flood could have been; did the people in Sumer really
feel the waters of the Black Sea rising around them?  I know you're not
suggesting that they did, but I'm concerned that the more literal-minded
might use the Black Sea inundation as proof of a world-wide flood.

     Dave!