 Off-Topic / Debate / 9864
Re: Geology from Outer Space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 18:26:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ryan Farrington writes:

Sumerians, Egyptians, Phoenicians, and Indians.  Each of these other
peoples possessed a history containing ten patriarchs in their prehistory.
On another note, all of those groups of people had stories in which a god or
gods created the world, and a flood covered the earth.

If by "Indians" you're referring to Native Americans, then you're
referring to a group of people so broad and diverse that no useful
generalization can be made about their disparate belief systems.  If you're
referring to the people of India, that's another matter, but you're still
not being very specific.
However, all of the cultures you list existed near bodies of water that
flood more or less regularly, so a flood myth can be easily explained.  You
might ask instead why the Noachian Flood myth so closely mirrors a much
earlier Sumerian myth, even down to "two of each kind of animal."

    Dave!

Both Nova and National Geographic have recently done pieces on new findings that
suggest a catastrophic flood of the Black Sea did indeed occur x thousands of
years ago.  I can't really remember the details, but I believe that the event is
hypothesized to have occured as a result of tectonic movements that allowed the
Mediteranean to flow through a fissure into the Black Sea basin.  One of the
scientists in the Nova episode commented that, in the scenario being considered,
the flood could have displaced settlement at the rate of a mile a day.
Submersibles have been used to find settlement remains some distance from the
present coastline.  This of course doesn't prove anything in itself, but it is
interesting that the scientific community is beginning to lend credence to the
possibility of a catastrophic flood of some nature that had a marked impact on a
focus point of developing civilization.

james