 Off-Topic / Debate / 9840
9839  |  9841
Subject:
Robert gets to invalidate logic (was Re: Science and beliefs (was Re: Alien races))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 00:13:14 GMT

Chomp.
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Robert Bevens writes:
On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 22:19:31 GMT, "James Brown"
<galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote: • <many other people wrote, but the attributions have been snipped>
The thing is, I believe the Bible to be literal truth about the universe!
So in that case, I never will stop believing the Bible.
Ryan, I don't presume to question your Faith, but for a number of reasons
your position on the nature of text isn't entirely supportable.  If, for
instance, even a single snippet of The Bible is found to be not literally
true, then the literal interpretion of the whole work falls.
What if God isn't perfect?  What if he purposefully put in mistakes as
a sort of "test of faith"?
How is that relevant to Dave's question?
Uh...what question?  Are you getting something I'm not or did I miss
another meeting?

Oops, silly me.  c/question/argument

Ryan stated his belief that the
bible (not portions, or "except the bits to test our faith") is literal
truth.

A yup.

If one holds the entirety as literal truth, then any example of
non-literal truth invalidates the entirety as literal truth.  (It does not
necessarily mean that none of it is literal truth, but it does indicate that
not *all* of it is literal truth.)

Not entirely true,  it could all be literally true whilst parts could
still be incorrect.  You might ask why, but then I'd have to start
talking about all sorts of things that probably go over your head as
well as mine.  It's basically like Post Hoc, Ergo, Propter Hoc.  In
our everyday thinking we don't really see how  the effect can precede
the cause, however there are numerous scientific theories and
calculations which prove that under given circumstances such a thing
can occur.  Again though that delves into all sorts of really high
level thinking and math that I've only barely scratched the surface
on.  My point was that in all "reality" anything is possible, and that
to say you are right and someone else is wrong is quite laughable at
best.  Just because you're not capable of understanding something (I
mean that on a physical note, there are some things that we as humans
just cannot fathom) doesn't mean that such things are impossible.

Go ahead, amaze me.

Statement: the Bible is all literal truth.
Statement: part of the bible is not literal truth.

I'm fascinated to see how these statements can be reconciled.

Let's just call this "Point 1".  I can't speak for Dave, but I personally
operate under the basic assumption that my perceptions are reliable.

Making assumptions are you now?  Hmmm, well that isn't much of a
surprise, you're going to have to start making some if you want to try
and throw everything into a single pot.

?? You lost me here.  What do you mean 'throw everything into a single pot'?

If you aren't willing to accept that basic premise, then there is no common
ground and it's pointless trying to debate, because any participant can "what
if" ad infinitum (and ad naseum).

Again, that was my point.

Then why didn't you just say that?  And where'd the "again" come from?

If there are two (or more) interpretations of the Bible, and they are not all
correct (which is the premise being talked about), then what determines which
one is correct?
An infinite number of possibilities.  Open up a Crayon box and
contemplate for a bit.

Sarcasm aside, how about a real answer?

One common answer, obviously, is that we're all human and therefore
fallible, so naturally we may make mistakes in interpretation.  How,
therefore, can we assert with any confidence that the literal word (as we
interpret it) is true?
How can you assert with any confidence that the literal word is false?
He isn't.
So is he like your puppet or can you just read his mind?

Neither, but I can read what he wrote.  "How, therefore, can we assert..." not
"I therefore assert with confidence that the literal word is false."

Also look into the concept of Occam's Razor.

I fail to see what the law of parsimony has to do with the situation,
but hey, whatever blows yer hair back and all that.

Given the option between choosing to believe my perceptions, and choosing to
believe that I'm really a mustard seed, and am simply delusional, I'll pick
door #1, thanks.

On a side note I liked Contact too, but I usually try to avoid getting
scientific facts from mainstream media.  : )

Holy non-sequiter, Batman!

James
yum.