 Off-Topic / Debate / 9784
Re: Geology from Outer Space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 14:51:27 GMT

We've been through this all before.  Quote me one established, reputable
*scientific* journal (absolutely no spurious web sites, please) that • agrees
with your claim.  This claim keeps popping up but there has never been an
answer to my question.

Studies done by astronomer John Eddy and mathematician Aram Boornazian in
the 1970's proved that the sun is shrinking.  They reported that the sun is
shrinking at a rate of ten miles (16 km) per year. (Eddy, J. A. and
Boornazian, A.A., 1979.  "Secular decrease in the solar diameter,
1863-1953."  _Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society_, vol. 11, page
437.)  Therefore in another 96,000 years, the sun will be gone if it
continues at this rate!  Moreover, if this has been going on at the same
rate throughout history, then one million years ago, the size of the sun
would prohibit the existence of any life on earth.  20 million years ago,
the sun would have been touching the earth!

The 6,000 to 10,000 spread is because the 4004 BC date given by Ussher's
Biblical examination is easily disproven by recorded history, much less • the
geologic record.

The geologic record actually can't prove the age of the earth.

J.R. Norman: "The geological record has so far provided no evidence as to
the origin of the fishes..."  (_A History of Fishes_, P.H. Greenwood
[editor], 3rd edition, British Museum of Natural History, London, 1975, page
343.)

Kraig Adler: "Although this transition [from fish to amphibian] doubtless
occurred over a period of millions of years, there is no known fossil record
of these stages."  (_Encyclopedia of Reptiles & Amphibians_, Equinox,
Oxford, 1986, page 4)

W.E. Swinton: "The origin of birds is largely a matter of deduction.  There
is no fossil evidence of the stages through which the remarkable change form
reptile to bird was achieved." (Chapter 1 of _Biology & Comparative
Physiology of Birds_, A.J. Marshall [editor], Academic Press, New York, Vol.
1, 1960, page 1.)

David Attenborough: "Nor is there any fossil evidence of any consequence
about their [the echidna and playtpus] ancestors.  So we have virtually
nothing to help us link these cretures to any group of fossil reptiles."
(_Life on Earth: A Natural History_, Reader's Digest/Collins, London, 1980,
page 238)

John E. Hill and James D. Smith: "...all fossil bats, even the oldes, are
clearly fully developed bats and so they shed little light on the transition
from their terrestrial ancestor."  (_Bats: A Natural History_, Rigby
Publishers, Adelaide, 1984, page 33)

Cambridge University's Geologist R.R. Rastall: "...geologists are arguing in
a circle.  The succession of organisms has been determined by the study of
their remains imbedded in the rocks, and the relative ages of the rocks are
determined by the remains of organisms they contain."  (_Encyclopaedia
Britannica_, 1956, vol.10, page 168)

--Ryan