 Off-Topic / Debate / 9741
Re: Geology from Outer Space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:15:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ryan Farrington writes:
  Science indeed deals with observable phenomena, but it deals also with
phenomena that can be observed indirectly, be it through a particle
accelerator or through an examination of the fossil record.
  Just so I'm clear on your views, how old do you believe the Earth to be?

     Dave!

I believe the earth to be young, about six to ten thousand years old.  There
have been many scientists who have examined the fossil record and found it
to fit just as well in the context of a young earth as in an old one.  Also,
there are numerous indirect evidences for a young earth, such as the buildup
of salt in the oceans.  If the earth was extremely old, the seas might be
filled with salt!  But anyway, about 6,000 to 10,000 years old.

--Ryan

We've been through this all before.  Quote me one established, reputable
*scientific* journal (absolutely no spurious web sites, please) that agrees
with your claim.  This claim keeps popping up but there has never been an
answer to my question.

The 6,000 to 10,000 spread is because the 4004 BC date given by Ussher's
Biblical examination is easily disproven by recorded history, much less the
geologic record.  Oops!  It can't be 6,000 years old?  Dang, ummmm, let's
make it 10,000 for some wiggle room.  I have pointed this out many times and
have never received an answer.

And please, if you can't give a straight answer (this is for all the
lurkers, really), please don't answer at all!  The game of dodgeball gets
tiresome.

Bruce