 Off-Topic / Debate / 9740
9739  |  9741
Subject:
Essential nature of mankind
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:58:47 GMT

Jeremy: "How could something inherently evil have good in it?

Dave: "...couldn't something inherently (ie: predisposed to) evil still
make the moral choice not to commit evil?

Jeremy: "...is a thing evil by nature or by action?... Are only a few of
us going to successfully fight our nature and become good?...what would be
the point of creating a people who are inherently evil?"

Here's what I believe, in light of the Bible.  God did not create man
inherently evil.  Rather, He created the first man, Adam, perfect, but He
also gave him the ability to make a moral choice.  Adam then chose to sin,
and from then on, mankind has had a disposition to sin.  However, man has
not lost his ability to make a moral choice.  Since we can make moral
choices, we can choose to do good now and then even though our disposition
is evil.  What we can't do is make our disposition totally good, like the
way God originally created man.  It is because man hasn't lost his ability
to make moral choices that we are accountable to God for our actions.  God
also requires that we have a perfect nature, but as I have already said, we
can't change our nature!

But God knows that we can't change our nature, so He lovingly stepped in to
do what we couldn't do.  He did this through Jesus (who is God), who had no
sinful nature.  Jesus died, paying the penalty for sin, and rose again,
proving His deity and the completeness of His work, so that we could be
perfect in His sight.  However, everyone is not made automatically perfect
because God still leaves each individual with the moral choice to accept His
gift.

--Ryan