 Off-Topic / Debate / 9783
  Re: Essential nature of mankind

(...) When Adam sinned, He incurred the punishment for sin: "in the day that you eat from it [the forbidden tree] you shall surely die" (Genesis 2:17). Adam did not drop dead then, but the biological tendency to die started working and nine hundred (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Essential nature of mankind

(...) Don't you agree, however, that's a broad assumption based on an even more broad definition of sin? Keep in mind that sin is relative to a culture, not a hard and fast rule to all cultures and creatures. Eating pork is a sin for Hebrews and (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Essential nature of mankind

(...) Daniel: In the spirit of avoiding sweeping generalizations that due a disservice to one's arguments, I believe that your statements above need clarification. I'll not excuse the atrocities committed in the name of religion, but a great deal (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Essential nature of mankind

(...) Were I in the debate, that'd be exactly my point :) 'Course then we'd be on to defining morality which is my little pet topic, so I'd better steer clear :) (...) By my book, not *necessarily*, though I would argue that it probably was indeed (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Essential nature of mankind

(...) Simple question: Was the Vatican a political and economic power during the conquest of the Americas? You know the answer. (...) You are inferring more than what I wrote. The fact remains that Christianity came down like an iron fist on the (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Essential nature of mankind

(...) That is a good point; in terms of colonization, the Spanish had a more overtly religious tone to the economic exploitation. An interesting irony is that while the Spanish often used divine right as a justification, they also, over the course (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Essential nature of mankind

Regarding this subject of cruelty of so-called Christians to the indians, here's an interesting article about the Pilgrims in America. (URL) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Essential nature of mankind

(...) Plymouth MA, which is the church congregation directly descending from the Pilgrim's settlement, is now a Unitarian Universalist congregation. This also reminds me of an interesting story I read in the Travel section of the Raleigh (NC) News (...) (23 years ago, 5-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Essential nature of mankind

(...) Is this the black armband view of history or what! I think it's telling that the present govenrment refuses to apologise for a policy that was so explicitly racist. Apparently Aboriginal settlements were the inspiration for South African (...) (23 years ago, 6-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Essential nature of mankind

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes: (big clipping) (...) Would you mind telling me why you consider Portugal was "the worst of the bunch"?? In fact, it DID start slave trade in the Atlantic; but it also began ANY sort of trade routes (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)