 Off-Topic / Debate / 9075
Re: A whole new debate.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:15:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:
Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Oops.  :-)

Since you conveniently cut the first half, let me point that you are clearly
not disputing that you are in fact ignorant of what constitutes science, and
what constitutes a scientist (there's nothing wrong with being ignorant, but
I have a problem when you pretend otherwise).  If you wish to dispute this,
these points consistently.

Assume that this message is the first ever posted in this newsgroup.
-----BEGIN NEW MESSAGE BELOW THIS LINE-----

If you do not believe in Creationism (http://www.m-w.com lookup
"creationism"), please anser the following question.

Where are the billions of transitional fossils that should be there if
your theory is right?

All over the place.  *Everything* is a transitional fossil (well, sharks are
pretty darn stable, but even they change).

Although indirectly it seems that you are agin debating terminology and
avoiding the real question (unless you misunderstood what I (they) meant
by "transitional".

No, it's (they) that misunderstand what is transitional.  That was my point.
I knew what they thought they were saying.  I'll address that.

Why are there no fossils that demonstrate transitions between any modern
life-forms.  Let's use an actual example.  What animal does evolution
say comes before a parrot (I don't know right off hand, so pick another
animal if you like - a dog and whatever comes before it say),

To figure relationships, refer to the taxonomic scale: Kingdom, Phylum,
Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.  Just to complicate things, there are
sub- and super- appended.  Phylum chordata (bilateral symmetry, notochords)
has the rather important sub-phylum Vertabrata (where the notochord becomes
a more complex spinal column).  For man, taking up from Vertabrata: Class -
Mammalia; Order - Primates; Family - Hominidae; Genus - Homo; Species -
Sapiens.  I skipped a few of the intermidiary levels (placental mammals
rather than marsupial, but I don't remember the exact name).

Man used to be considered the only Hominid, but due to genetic reasearch,
Gorillas, Chimps, and Orangutans share the same family name. Man (Homo) only
has the one species.  Other species are gone for one of two reasons: they
were a dead end, or they evolved into modern humans.  Thus you may see Homo
Neanderthalensis listed, or perhaps Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis.  The
first indicates that Neanderthals are a seperate species, the second
indicates if a Neanderthal was walking down the street and of the
appropriate sex, you could mate with it and produce viable offspring
(offspring that can have offspring).  Last I saw genetic research indicated
that Neanderthals were a dead end - they are related further back in time to
modern humans, but do not continue forward.  Proceeding back in time, Homo
Heidelbergensis (or Homo Sapiens Archaic), which is one of those smooth
transition pieces you refered to; Homo Erectus, possibly the first fire
user; Homo Habilus, first to use stone tools.  We then switch to Genus
Parathropus, which was formerly part of the next Genus, Australopithecus.
Several species of each (Africanus and Afarensis probably the best known).
From there we go up the scale to the Hominid superfamily.  There are several
there, but the only one I remember is Proconsul.  So there's the links
between us and the other Hominids, the great apes, which in turn derived
from other placental mammals, which evolved from other vertebrates, which
evolved from creatures with notochords, etc.

Things may get refined as we acquire more information.

and then
show me an example of any credible fossil record that shows a cross
between the two animals.

Thar ya go!

Billions! Not a handful of questionable
transitions.

Tell us how fossilization takes place and thus how likely that everything is
fossilized.  Then you still have to deal with the ones that exist.

"Fossilization requires very special conditions. Dinosaur and other
fossils could not have formed in the way suggested by most Evolutionary
books.

Denial, but without evidence.

Animals almost never fossilize unless they are buried quickly and
deeply - before scavengers, bacteria and erosion reduce them to dust.
Such conditions are highly unusual. In almost all cases, the very
existence of the fossils, in the types and numbers discovered, strongly
indicates catastrophic conditions were involved in their burial and
preservation.

This last is incorrect.

Without such conditions, there seems to be no plausible
way to explain their existence. Huge dinosaurs, huge schools of fish,
and many diverse animals are found entombed by massive muddy sediments
which hardened into rock. Almost all fossils are found in water-laid
sediments."
(from http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c006.html)

A religious source then, not a scientific one.  You seem to think that
religion = science.  Find a scientific source and get back to me.

Why don't we see a reasonably smooth continuum among all
living creatures, or in the fossil record, or both?
(from http://www.creationscience.com/quest.shtml)

We are getting a pretty good one for man, but there are others, just not as
widely publicized.  Further, the road isn't always smooth (just ask
Neanderthals).  :-)

"Contrary to common belief, most fossils are not of extinct types of
animals. Most fossils are very similar (and often totally identical) to
creatures living today. It is said there are many more living species of
animals than there are types known only as fossils. If Evolution is
true, one may wonder why the case is not just the reverse! Evolutionary
history is supposed to be filled with temporary, intermediate stages of
Evolution, from amoeba to man.

See above: Thar ya go.

...There is a continuing lack of evidence for Evolution despite an
enormous number of fossils. Although scientists will continue to
discover new varieties of fossil animals and plants, it is generally
agreed that the millions of fossils already discovered (and the
sediments already explored) provide a reliable indication of which way
the evidence is going. That is, there will continue to be little or no
fossil evidence found to support Evolutionism."
(from http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c006.html)

If one sticks one's head in the sand.  .

And you are going to explain the fossilization process, correct?  And the
unlimited power to sift through all the strata to find these?  All fossils
at once?  On demand?

"Sufficient fossils. There is a continuing lack of evidence for
Evolution despite an enormous number of fossils. Although scientists
will continue to discover new varieties of fossil animals and plants, it
is generally agreed that the millions of fossils already discovered (and
the sediments already explored) provide a reliable indication of which
way the evidence is going. That is, there will continue to be little or
no fossil evidence found to support Evolutionism."
(from http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c006.html)

Again, a non-scientific source.  A rather biased one, at that.

I can refer you to evolution websites - it's hard to debate a static site
either way.

I probably shouldn't have included that in this message - I meant it as
an aside.

finally (for the "credablilty" issue):

"Fossils are a great embarrassment to Evolutionary theory and offer
strong support for the concept of Creation." (Dr. Gary Parker, Ph.D.,
Biologist/paleontologist and former Evolutionist)"

One out of how many?  And it's just a blanket statement, unsupported.

Bruce