 Off-Topic / Debate / 8855
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:37:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
David Eaton wrote:
You are confusing an overwhelming body of evidence that reduces the
probablity of inaccuracy to virtually nothing with "faith".

Not in the least. You're taking people's word for it. "That's a picture of
the earth from a satellite. Here's Brazil." Proof? Only if you *believe* the
person.

You can log in on a website and access sat photos.  Ones detailed enough to
identify your own car in a parking lot.  Those satellites can then pick out
cars in Brazil.  If you have the infinite time, you can step your way from
wherever you live to Brazil in overlapping pics.  Proof enough for ME.

Aha! EXACTLY the point. "Proof enough for YOU" != "Proof". Right? Becuase if
I say God exists because I've had "Proof enough for ME", you'd argue that I
was wrong, I assume. But back to Brazil-- You'd probably concede (I hope)
that if there were some big conspiracy against you trying to get you to
believe that Brazil existed, that *maybe*, in fact, it does NOT exist. But
you've got faith in your ability to judge the existence of such a
conspiracy. The more and more you see evidence of Brazil, the less inclined
you are to think that Brazil doesn't exist. And hence, at some point, you're
taking Brazil's existence on *faith*.

The point I'm pretty sure you're trying to avoid getting me to talk you
into, though, is that science==faith, religion==faith, and therefore
science==religion, yes? Well, I'm not about to say that exactly. I'll say
there ARE distinctions between Christianity and 'Science' (note the
difference between scientific METHOD and science itself), but this portion
of the thread hasn't touched on what I think those distinctions are. Other
parts of this thread have gone into that, though, if you'd like to check
them out...

DaveE