 Off-Topic / Debate / 8834
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 05:27:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

How is "operating under the assumption" different that "having faith in"?

This, I think, is what we're stumbling around.  I see them as one and the
same.  I'm picking up from context that you think the definition of faith
requires a "without evidence whatsoever" clause.

James

Major snippage of worthy discussion, but the really important part is here.
Rummaging for a dictionary...

faith
1. Complete confidence or trust.
2. Belief in God or the doctrines of religion.
3. A system of religious belief.
4. Loyality or fidelity.

So let's see:
1. I've been pretty consistent about pointing out that my confidence or
trust is NOT complete.
2. Whoops!
3. Whoops!
4. As in keeping faith, which doesn't really apply here (there was also "bad
faith" and "good faith" listed, but the same goes).

There ya go.  Probably not the best of dictionaries, but it was what was at
hand.  Operating under an assumption is not faith since I hardly have
complete confidence in it.  Some areas of science may infinitely approach
complete trust, but since science pretty much holds that you need to be
prepared to modify your conclusions, there isn't such a thing as complete
trust in science.

Bruce