 Off-Topic / Debate / 8857
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:01:31 GMT

Major snippage of worthy discussion, but the really important part is here.
Rummaging for a dictionary...

faith
1. Complete confidence or trust.
2. Belief in God or the doctrines of religion.
3. A system of religious belief.
4. Loyality or fidelity.
[snip]

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with James-- If that's the definition of faith
you're using, then I agree with you. But honestly? I think dictionaries are
wrong. I have more faith in my comprehension of certain words than faith in
the dictionary's. If I was curious about morality (for example), and what
'good' was, I wouldn't go to a dictionary to look it up.

But notice how I used 'faith' in a sentence? Personally I think my grammer
and implication of definition of the word was right. But which of the above
cited definitions describes the way in which I used it?

Number 1 doesn't work because I'm saying (actually implying, and if I didn't
actually say so, I'll clarify that it IS what I meant) that I have faith in
both my ability AND in the dictionary, but MORE faith in my ability to
define certain (not all!) words. If I had 'complete' trust in both, I
couldn't say I had more one way than another.

2 Doesn't work because... well... Uh... I can't see how it WOULD fit...

Number 3? Same deal as above.

Number 4? Not really... I'm more 'loyal' to my definitions? Well, YEAH, but
that's more of a result OF my faith in my system, not equal to what I was
saying...

In short, it sounds like you were thinking I meant number 1, but I'd like to
clarify that I wasn't :) And on that note, maybe I'll try and say 'trust' or
something, instead of 'faith'.

Anyway, suffice to say, I think that IN THEORY, religion and science are
both equal forms of trust in differently trusted forms of perception. I.E.
religion puts more trust in the metaphysical experiences one has than
science does. Scientific METHOD, however, is something all together
different, and could or should apply to both religion AND science.

DaveE