 Off-Topic / Debate / 8706
Re: Description vs. argument
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:28:40 GMT

May I?

The point I was making about rights concerned political freedoms. For
example - here in the UK one could always choose to be, say, a communist.
Can you say the same of the US?

Yes.

And to compare, how is the history of British society and homosexuals?  It's
not exactly a political freedom, but it's similar, and your record sucks.

Or did you not have rather unsavoury "witch hunts"?

We did.

I even hear that in some parts of the US, widely accepted theories
such as evolution are not taught to your younger generations - they are not
given the freedom to choose?

Evolution is not taught in a few places.  That is equally bizarre as your not
having been taught the superiority of free market economics (another widely
accepted theory).

While we are talking about education, when did
the US get rid of segregation in the education system?

Segregation based on what?  Skin tone?  Um...at least by 1600 in some schools.
Why do you ask?

Despite that, I'm
pretty sure you'd say parents should be able to dictate what is taught in a
school, or even select the colour of little Johnnie's class mates?

Parents should be able to decide to which school they will send their children.
That decision could be based on the curricula, social and affective handling,
rights issues, location, etc.  Parents should not dictate what schools teach
because schools should be private.

It was your assertion that you were in some way freer than I due to your
constitution. My point above is that may not really be the case.

I'm not sure how your "point" is corroborated or supported (or even connected
in any way) by/to your comments (digs).  Maybe you didn't get any satisfactory
answers because it seemed that all you were trying to do was attack the US,
rather than contribute to the discussion.

Chris