 Off-Topic / Debate / 8644
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:45:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:

    Guns don't kill people, people kill people!

As I mentioned in a previous post, that's exactly what has to happen!
If everyone would get over their unjustified fear that if child knows
about or has an interest in guns that they'll grow up to be some crazy
bank robber and realized that if they just tought them about guns there
wouldn't be so many accidents.

  You are completely correct; the notion that knowledge of a gun's usage and
consequences will somehow lead inexorably to a gun's illegal use is simply
falacious.  A true awareness of the consequences of one's actions can only
lead to an increased respect for the weight of those actions.
  As a sidebar, however, it is interesting to me that many of the same
groups who assert (correctly) that increased gun education will lead to
reduced gun experimentation by youths also assert that increased sex
education will lead to increased sex experimentation by youths...

     Dave!