 Off-Topic / Debate / 8631
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:03:46 GMT

Snipped.

Lar said:
So are most
of the other statistics quoted so far.

Enlighten us then Larry, show us the real situation? Are you able to?

There's a lot of stuff out there if you want to dig. I don't, since I'm
already convinced and I don't much care for your thoughts either way.
However, for the other readers... Here's a book reference for you:

http://www.reason.com/9708/bk.funk.html

Note that these authors could care less about the 2nd amendment... they make
the gun argument on the crime fighting basis (which I acknowledge as a
valid, but not my primary, reason for ownership). This para from the review
is particularly apt (and makes the point I make about gun death/accident
statistics not measuring the right things):

Excerpting from the copyrighted review under fair use:

The threat of victimization is also the main reason that nearly 50 percent
of American homes have guns, a fact that bothers criminals perhaps even
more than it does media liberals. Kates and Kleck recount a 1986 study
in which sociologists Peter Rossi and James Wright interviewed 1,874
felons in 10 states. Rossi and Wright found that criminals are more
concerned about encountering armed citizens than they are about running
into police. The criminals' fear is well-founded: Although there are only
about 1.7 million annual arrests for violent crime and burglary, Kleck
estimates that there are at least 2.2 million defensive uses of a firearm
by civilians each year

<emphasis>
(most involving incidents in which a gun is not actually fired)

This may help explain why areas with high civilian firearm ownership have
lower crime rates than areas where firearm ownership is less widespread.

end excerpt.

++Lar