 Off-Topic / Debate / 8626
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:04:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:

1 - Highly unscientific, no statistical validity as a predictor, but I can
name off three LUGNETters who have been in car accidents, none of them their
fault, just since LUGNet started.

This is quite a good example, in a odd way. Car manufactures strive to make
there cars safer to reduce death/injury rates for both owners and others -
it helps sell cars. Have gun manufactures done the same in any real way?

Maybe it's a right wing conspiracy to keep
them quiet, but to my knowledge no LUGNetter has been involved in a gun
accident.

Gun accidents run at a rate of 0.4/100k (~1000 deaths per year) in the US,
so I would not really expect numbers to be all that high on LUGNET - would
you? Even if there was a person (and I hope there is not), s/he'd may well
choose not to shout about it.

What's that you say?

Bananas.

Apples and oranges comparision?

No, I said Bananas! :-)

So are most
of the other statistics quoted so far.

Enlighten us then Larry, show us the real situation? Are you able to?

No, not really.  I think that your average Lego fan is of above average
inteligence, and is more likely to follow through in actually being reasonably
careful to unload the gun before trying to clean it :)

Yep. We on Lugnet, represnet nothing other than Lugnet users - I dobut we
really represent anything else. I doubt that those who post on .deabte even
represent the view of LUGNET users - but that _is_ just a guess.

It is also possible/probable that of most people who don't post on a regular
basis, one of them could disappear without anyone knowing it...even through a
weapons accident.

Let's hope not.

Scott A

As far as the balistics go, just look at Conaleys (sp) leg :).  Bullets can do
very wierd things.  For my bet, to use inside a house, something like a AET
bullet would be my pref (Accelerated Energy Transfer), because they don't have
much penitrating power.  I'm not sure if they are legal ammo though...

James