 Off-Topic / Debate / 8621
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 05:37:32 GMT

    Well, I understand this whole debate came from the initial posting of
gun control. And I agree that controlling guns may not have the desired
affect upon gun related crimes, since only law-abiding citizens will register.

    But lately, it sounds like the debate it why have a gun in the house at
all?  Does anyone remember the Polly Klause(sp)case?  A young girl, taken
from her own bedroom, with a friend sleeping over, at night, with the
parents home.  She ended up dead!
    My first choice of a home defense weapon is a shotgun.  Even a
frightened person, shaking horribly, could *stop the criminal from
continuing their action*. (Notice I didn't say kill, hurt, or disable.)
There isn't much aim required for a shotgun.  It has the power to *deter*
someone when fired.  Have you heard the sound created when a round is
chambered.  Very intimidating!
    The chances of shotgun pellets going through the wall, bouncing off the
washing machine and taking out my child is highly unlikely.  But still $#!T
happens, and I'm willing to take that risk.  In addition, I keep the shotgun
next to the bed, loaded.  Why?  Because every member of my house hold know
how to load, fire and unload it.  Even my 11 year old.  And she's a damn
good shot! Yeah, she has to kneal while shooting, she's only 85lbs.  I even
took my upstairs neighbors' 6 year old (they come to visit all the time) to
the range to teach him the damage it can do.  He has total respect for that
shotgun after seeing his lunch (a watermellon) blasted to bits.

    Guns don't kill people, people kill people!

Joe