 Off-Topic / Debate / 8611
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:51:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Noeckel writes:

Well, the US murder rate is >3 times the UK one. I am pretty sure that our
murder clear-up rate is better than the USA too. Fell free to prove me wrong.
Scott A

Much of this conversation is dealing with U.S. and U.K. statistics,
situations and stereotypes. Yet, the principle issue is restrictions and
controls within ‘Canada.’ My nation is quite different from the U.S. in many
key areas, and several of the points that pertain to my neighbor to the
south have no grounds in Canada.

So why is the USA & Canada so different on this? I know that there are other
countries where guns are very common but gun deaths are very low (Sweden?).
I found murder rates for the Americas (below), Canada is higher than my UK
estimate of 1.9/100K - but is still only about a third of the level in the
USA. Are Canadians just plain passive/docile?

COUNTRIES AND AREAS
RATE/100,000

U.S.A. White, selected New England cities
1.7

Canada
2.3

Chile