 Off-Topic / Debate / 8599
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 04:22:36 GMT

Well, the US murder rate is >3 times the UK one. I am pretty sure that our
murder clear-up rate is better than the USA too. Fell free to prove me wrong.
Scott A

Much of this conversation is dealing with U.S. and U.K. statistics,
situations and stereotypes. Yet, the principle issue is restrictions and
controls within ‘Canada.’ My nation is quite different from the U.S. in many
key areas, and several of the points that pertain to my neighbor to the
south have no grounds in Canada.

That is precisely why the new gun control acts are so intolerable. Canada
does not have the high crime rate or violence involving guns that the
Americans possess. Yet, the good and law-abiding citizens are penalized for
a simple possession.

Upon registering your gun you become ‘-=Blacklisted=-.’
In your file that contains the information pertaining to your address,
vocation, and medical records, there goes a notice that informs the user
that you should automatically be suspect for weapons possession and be
treated with extreme caution. Those with access to this confidential
information (Government, Police, etc.) become weary and opt to call for back
up and incidentally escalate the situation. Suddenly, a good law-abiding
citizen who has decided to keep the old .22 rifle that his father gave him
before he died, becomes victimized by police for maintaining an unused relic
that has become a cherished heirloom from the days he spent with his father
as a child at the range.

Whence justice is compromised, the individual is compelled to maintain
liberty themselves. There is no justice in over-regulating the ‘good
law-abiding citizen’ and thus subjecting them to undue measures.

           Sincerely,

                            Richard

-Lego good, Canada great-®