 Off-Topic / Debate / 8596
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 01:28:05 GMT

But who are we limitng access for?  There will ALWAYS be an illegal
underground firearm market where criminals will go for the weapons - the
new gun control laws are only limiting law abiding citizens access.

That's why I think parts of the law are -stupid-, but parts of it to my mind
make sense- such as requiring licences that have as a requirement, training.

It comes down to the fact that we needed some changes to the law, but what we
got was not what we should have got...

I'm for licences to own, restrictions on type (pistol/"military" weapons), but
against the whole idea of registering how many rifles, and the restrictions on
weapons being transfered.  I think the old 3 tiered system of weapons was a
good one at heart, but needed changes.

How I think it should be is:
Rifles (Bolt/single shot/fixed cap. semi auto, 5 or less rounds)- licence
required

Pistols (any,up to 6 rounds in)- Licence in good standing (5 years no crime),
registration of weapon required

Military style (changeable mag) weapons-should not be available to new
purchase, but should be bought by government at death of current owner based on
"book" value at that time. Registration most definitely required

Deactivated- well, it is now a paperweight, no registration required.

Ammo- Purchase requires licence, applicable to class (so, a person who has a
licence for a rifle would NOT be able to buy ammo for pistol- it gets more dicy
with the military ammo, because 5.56 and 7.62 are both dual use rounds

How is that?

I don't know that it would make _much_ difference in the crime rate however-
but, I am for removing pistols/military style weapons as it becomes possible to
do so.

James