 Off-Topic / Debate / 8523
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:32:08 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
But they are reminded that the US, at least, is not a democracy, it is a
republic, and does (in theory) have inviolate rights and an armed citizenry
in place to act as the final check and balance, should usurpurious
government go too far. That is a *good* thing. That is as the founding
fathers intended. Nothing fundamentally has changed since the American
patriots took up arms against the British force initiators more than 200
years ago.

While I guess one could call me a freeloader for not being at least
trained in the use of firearms and not owning one, I have to concur
absolutely with the above. Unfortunately, so many of my fellow citizens
didn't pay enough attention to their history to understand the
justification for the 2nd amendment (and unfortunately, that
justification didn't get written in because the writers probably never
considered that anyone would question why). Growing up in Lexington and
Concord MA gave me regular exposure (minimally once per year when
Patriot's Day is celebrated) to just why the 2nd amendment exists. There
certainly are other historical events which could also serve as
reminders (Kent State is another, I wonder if things would have come out
differently if the protesters had been armed? Perhaps then the National
Guard would have not got itself into a position where they felts trapped
[as a recent article I read claimed was what led them to open fire on
unarmed students]).

Frank