 Off-Topic / Debate / 8517
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:09:54 GMT

James Powell wrote:

Will this register do anything to stop criminal activity?  Yes, it will.

Sorry if you mentioned in an earlier post but could you clarify your
theory as to how?

Will
it do what $300 million worth spent elsewere would do? NO.  Is it leading to
removal of rights to own longs for hunting?  No, I don't think it is.  Pistols,
yes.  But, since you already have to have a different license to own a pistol,
or a military style weapon prior to, I don't think that that is a vaild
argument.  If the argument you were making was true, how come this law did not
ban those weapons?  Don't tell me it cannot be done, there are at least some
NZ's here on LUGNET who live in a nation where some classes of weapons are
proscribed (military style rifles- lets face it, a AR15/AK/ect is NOT a hunting
weapon, but either a toy or a device designed to wound/kill humans.

Although I don't exactly believe that that there isn't at least _some_
motive to eventually get rid of ALL weapons I agree that military and
handgun weapons should reuire some forms of registration to be legally
owned....but that's already in place in Canada and the new gun laws
won't do anything about it.....so where is your justification for THIS
NEW register?

I'm in favor of a ban of weapons which were designed to hunt people with, not
ones which were designed to hunt animals with- if you cannot hit a animal with
a single shot, you shouldn't be out hunting in the first place.

Although I'm not in favor of BANNING them for the sake of collectors and
handgun target shooters, I do agree that handgun control to a certain
degree is probably not a bad idea.

--
-TiM
NB, CA