 Off-Topic / Debate / 8514
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:03:49 GMT

The valid justification is this:

The government eventually wants a completely disarmed populace.  If they tried
to pass laws that just forbid all guns in Canada, they would be strung up in
the streets.  So they just want to record where all guns are so that when they
go to 'pacify' an area, they will know which houses to pay special attention
to.

I think that there is a moral imperative to own unregistered firearms so that
when you think it's time to join the revolution, you'll be prepared.  (But if
that time never comes, then you're luckier.)

My $.02

Chris

_I_ think you are full of the same stuff that farmers spread over fields, if
they own cows.  :) :).  At least, as far as this issue goes.

Will this register do anything to stop criminal activity?  Yes, it will.  Will
it do what $300 million worth spent elsewere would do? NO.  Is it leading to
removal of rights to own longs for hunting?  No, I don't think it is.  Pistols,
yes.  But, since you already have to have a different license to own a pistol,
or a military style weapon prior to, I don't think that that is a vaild
argument.  If the argument you were making was true, how come this law did not
ban those weapons?  Don't tell me it cannot be done, there are at least some
NZ's here on LUGNET who live in a nation where some classes of weapons are
proscribed (military style rifles- lets face it, a AR15/AK/ect is NOT a hunting
weapon, but either a toy or a device designed to wound/kill humans.

I'm in favor of a ban of weapons which were designed to hunt people with, not
ones which were designed to hunt animals with- if you cannot hit a animal with
a single shot, you shouldn't be out hunting in the first place.

James Powell