 Off-Topic / Debate / 8498
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 22:55:30 GMT

Scott A wrote:

No problem. These two:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/osp/usmort.htm
http://www.handguncontrol.org/

Thanks.  I will argue the point of owning guns for protection no
further.  I personally don't agree with some of the opinions expressed
in the www.handguncontrol.com article, but I can't argue with statistics
- because one can always argue the validity of sttistics :)

I will point out though that the site is concerned (at least primarily)
with HANDGUN CONTROL......somethat that has already been in place in
Canada for quite some time.

No, you are incorrect.  Guns have no place in YOUR day to day life.
Where I live, guns play a big part in MANY people's day to day life.

That's too bad.

Why is that too bad?  Why is it that guns are inherently BAD?

So for the sake of those imbeciles everyone else should be forced to
pay?

But what really would be the price. My life is not empty without a gun. I do
not live in fear.

Once again you have mentioned YOUR life.  What about the 1000's who DO
own guns?  Obviously you don't have to live in fear - I'll never argue
that you should own a gun just for the heck of it if you really don't
care about them.  In fact, I don't actually personally own a gun either
- but I have some very strong opinions about them in anticipation of
owning them in the future(I have a lot of friends and fmily members who
do).

Also what exactly do you mean "buy guns due to the movies" and
"guns may look good in the movies"?  If people ARE buying a particular
gun because they saw it in a movie - what is the problem with that?

It is weak.

It is weak to buy/own ANYTHING based on what you see in the movies, but
it sure happens alot, and it certainly isn't WRONG.....weak - yeah,
wrong - certainly not!

The problems aren't in people owning guns - the problems are in what
people do WITH guns.

The two things are related.

No more so than with any other object.  A baseball bat can be used to
play a 100% innocent game of baseball or it can be used to beat someone
to death.

The new gun control laws aren't adressing what
people do with guns, they are punishing people for owning guns.

I agree.

Well seeing as that has been my core argument all along...

--
-TiM
NB, CA