 Off-Topic / Debate / 8479
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 04:18:09 GMT

James Powell wrote:

I'm _not_ telling you _not_ to own a gun.  Nor is the Canadian Government.
What it _is_ telling you is that you _have_ to register the ownership of the
gun, which is no more onious than registering the ownership of your car- you
can chose not to have a car too.

Fair enough - I agree that it is similar to car registration and whether
or not one agrees with car registration is rather irrelevant in the
sense that car registration is a relatively old law and the fact that
you DO have to register your car has become basically accepted in Canada
because it has been around for quite some time --- and this will
probably become the way of the gun law albeit less and less new younger
people will be owning guns in the long run because of all the hassle
involved.  What am I leading to here?   We have yet to see a valid
reason for suddenly deciding that all gun owners must register all of
their firearms.  I discussed in my original post of this thread and I
have yet to see someone actually disagree that the new gun laws will do
nothing to stop crime.  The gun laws are an added pain in the pooper,
added cost (not only to gun owners themselves, but implementing this
system has cost millions in taxpayer money), and as of right now have
only served to make law abiding citizens into criminals!  Show me a
valid justification for gun registration and maybe I'll calm down a bit.

and, if you think that you don't have to register a car if you don't drive it,
you are right, but you still have to register the transfer of ownership...same
as here. I'm not too happy with some provisions of the law, but hey...it is the
law.  If gun owners wish to change the law, elect a government which will do so

Again, I agree - the law is the law.....unfortunately the law shouldn't
have been considered for becoming a law when they started discussing it
a few years back.  And yes, I also recognize that if Canada doesn't want
Gun Control, we should have booted Cretien back in November when we had
the chance.  Unfortunately the Ontario votes run our entire country so
all the City-Urchins in Toronto who don't know what a hunting rifle
looks like don't give a rat's-arse about gun control.  Just look at
which party's were elected in terms of region around the
country.....both the CAP and PC Parties planned to scrap the gun control
laws in favor of effective ones.  Western Canada Elected the Canadian
Alliance, Eastern Canada where I'm from doesn't know who they want for
government, Quebec is concerned with Quebec and could care less as long
as the PQ gets to put their $.02 in the house, and Ontario who runs the
country keeps the same BS as we've had for the past 8 years.

Remember, we have Peace, Liberty and GOOD GOVERNMENT :)

Just not the liberty to own certain sporting equipment - like guns :)

(...BTW...for more information on Canadian firearms ownership and use
visit www.nfa.ca)

--
-TiM
NB, CA