 Off-Topic / Debate / 8219
Re: Nature of man (was Re: Problems with Christianity)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:32:30 GMT

But according to others in this group, man doesn't HAVE free will - God knows
everything anyone will do from cradle to grave - where is the free will in
that?

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:

The more you describe "your morality", the more (I think) I see the
basic problem.  The Bible says that man is essentially evil and in
need of a Savior - you (I think) say man is essentially good.

<snippage for the purpose of emphasis, also because I'm coming in late, and
am (bluntly) too lazy to hunt up the argument to date and comment in a
forward-moving way>

I'm not sure about other flavours of christianity, but I know that the RC
church, at least, doesn't hold to the "man is essentially evil" view.

The RC position (IANAP) is that man *can be* evil.  Man can also be good.
Man is not inherently either, just inherently imperfect.

Man (unlike the remainder of God's creations) has free will, and for that
free will to be real (as opposed to just a perception of free will), the
options must exist independent of man's nature; ergo, man is neither good
nor evil, but has the capacity for either (or both).(1)

(I realize that's somewhat circular, but I think my premise can be infered
more easily than it can be stated catagorically.  If anyone would like a
more detailed follow through, LMK, and I'll endeavour)

James

1:That's my derivation, and not a matter of doctrine, AFAIK.