 Off-Topic / Debate / 8082
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:12:36 GMT

I'm against states expressing a preference one way or the other.

++Lar

State? I think you mean society.

No.

I wrote state because I meant state. Societies can't express preferences.

I think they can.

You're not paying attention, Scott. The very next paragraph explains why a
society cannot express a preference. The majority of members can hold a
preference and can use the organs of the state to impose their view, but a
society, since it is not an entity with a consciousness, cannot express a
preference.

Members of societes can (forcibly) *impose* their preferences on other
members, through the mechanics of the state, but the society as a whole
cannot have a preference, it's not an entity capable of having preferences.

I accept that the majority in a society can implement change - we call it
democracy.

You may accept an unlimited democracy in which the people can vote
themselves bread and circuses, at which they watch the minorities they don't
currently care for get fed to the lions as soon as some demagouge convinces
them that's the way to vote.... yes, you may accept that.

But I don't.

I prefer a constrained government which is strictly limited in what it can
and cannot do. This is a fundamental difference between us. I prefer
freedom, and you would rather reap the temporary benefits of democratically
imposed tyranny.

++Lar