 Off-Topic / Debate / 7985
    Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day) —Steve Chapple
   <snip> (...) <snip> (...) Unfortunately we have a situation of "power corrupting" here. There are numerous Liberal MPs who have done outrageous things, but they just ignore the public outcry. If a "recall policy" were in place, it probably wouldn't (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day) —James Powell
    (...) Just simply not true, look at BC for a example. The fact is, that for a reasonable requirement (1/3rd of registered voters, not 1/3rd of votes in last election), you will _allways_ have a very hard time getting recall. Simply because getting (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day) —Steve Chapple
   (...) Yes - Look at B.C. - They almost had recall in place, and the NDP nixed it because they knew they'd lose their slim majority due to the outrageous antics of some of their members. They realize that it would work, and don't want to lose their (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day) —James Powell
    (...) As far as my understanding was, the law is in place in BC to allow a recall. However, you require 1/3rd of the votors in the riding to sign a petition within a 60 day period. (sorry, from (URL) the petition must be submitted to the chief (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day) —Steve Chapple
   (...) I understood that the recall bill was defeated by the NDP before it could become law. In any case, it's the Alliance recall policy that I was refering to - the farther away from the people the level of govt. is, the more something like this is (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)