 Off-Topic / Debate / 795
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 21:59:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Denscombe writes:

"The whole natural point of having sex is reproduction or the possibility of
it (contraception isn't 100% safe) - with homosexuals this is impossible."
--> Copied from your post.  Please stop removing relevant portions of the
--> quoted text, it makes it very difficult to follow a discussion logically.

So?  The whole "natural" point of walking is to move effeciently across
land. Does that make people who walk around the block because they happen
to enjoy walking "ill"?

Nope that is not what I typed was it?  Sex and walking are different
things and there is no reason why they should behave in the same way.

Why are sex and walking different? Conceptually, at least.  I am aware that
there are one or two technical differences. ;)

The whole point of walking is to get from A to B - whether A and B are
the same place and the person has gone via C doesn't matter.

But a person who walks (regardless of A, B, or C) solely because they enjoy
walking is not accomplishing the intended purpose of walking.  Again: Does
that make them ill?

ill people want to get well they just don't know it"
You said it not me, ask any person who is ill whether they want to

No, you did.  That statement was your original quote, which I called non-
sensical.

become well and they will say yes unless it's a mental illness of course
which affects their thinking.  The human instinct is to survive ask any
psychologist - although all people want to go back to the safety of the
womb something has gone wrong if they commit suicide - this is only
A-Level Psychology - something an 18 year old can do.

I will agree that (typically) anyone who knows they are ill wants, in general,
to get better.  However, the orginal quote strongly implies an illness that
the "ill people" are unaware of.(1)  Was that your intent?  That is how I read
the sentence, so that is the premise I was operating under.

OK.  Here's the dictonary definition from Websters:
What dictionary is that - never heard of it :-)

<blink>  That's a joke, right?  Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary?  Been
around since Noah Webster in the 1820's?

2 a : to have a strong desire for <wanted a chance to rest> b : to have an
inclination to : LIKE <say what you want, he is efficient>
From the context of your sentence, 2a applies "to have a strong desire for",
which implies awareness.  The second phrase of your statement denies
awareness, ergo, nonsensical.

Could you tell me which statement you are referring to then I can make a
fair comment.

I was refering to the quote referenced above "ill people want to get well,
they just don't know it."

Does this mean you support and/or are homosexual(s) considering you said
'ill people want to get well they just don't know it'?

I did not say that, I was quoting you.  Besides, how is my sexual preference,
or lack thereof, even remotely relevant?

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
1: Please do not infer from this quote that I feel homosexualilty is an
illness.  It isn't.