 Off-Topic / Debate / 7802
Re: Critical Thinking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 19:40:49 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

Then WHY do atheists and agnostics try and hold religion up to the scientific
method?  Seems to me you can't have your cosmic cake and eat it too.  Anyone
stating that they need some sort of proof or evidence that God exists is
inconsistent, when we all agree that that is *by definition* not possible.

  Which atheists are you referring to?

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically; I was querying the atheists in the crowd
who do this:-)

Certainly not me, since I've never
demanded any proof of God's existence.

Then you agree that it is inconsistent to do this?

I *have* demanded proof of miracles
such as prophecies, because these are terrestrial in effect, and therefore
part of the natural world, and therefore within the purview of science--a
descriptor of the natural world.

And what does it mean to all of you atheists and agnostics out there that some
of the brightest minds in science believe in God?  Do you "know better" than
Einstein or Hawking?  I'm not saying that you should believe *because* they
believe, but perhaps there is more merit to the existence of God than you
"thought".

  Just because Einstein and Hawking know more about physics than I will ever
know, there is no reason for me to use those men's faith (whatever it may
be) as fuel for my own.  They are experts--titans, really--in the field of
physics (science), but they don't have any particular expertise in matters
of faith.

Ah, but who does?

That is, while I wouldn't presume to tell Hawking how to describe
the behavior of black holes, I wouldn't assume his concept of "God" is any
more solid or rational than yours, mine, Larry's, or anyone else's.
  Your appeal is noted but is misdirected; Einstein and Hawking are no more
qualified to instruct in matters of faith than any other person, and their
status in the world of science is utterly irrelevant to that qualification.

Really?  But at least they are credible witnesses in the eyes of scientists?

Dave! -- I'm sorry to have been addressing you and others at the same time, but
your distinction of science and religion surprised me.  If others hold that view,
I want some answers!

-John

     Dave!