 Off-Topic / Debate / 7803
Re: Critical Thinking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 20:05:50 GMT

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically; I was querying the atheists in the
crowd who do this:-)

  Oh.  That makes sense, then.  I thought you were directing it just at me,
but I see what you mean.

Certainly not me, since I've never
demanded any proof of God's existence.

Then you agree that it is inconsistent to do this?

  Absolutely (which I almost spelled "absoulutlely" which would have been a
cool pun).  That's what I've maintained all along, that science has no power
to prove or disprove God's existence.

  Just because Einstein and Hawking know more about physics than I will ever
know, there is no reason for me to use those men's faith (whatever it may
be) as fuel for my own.  They are experts--titans, really--in the field of
physics (science), but they don't have any particular expertise in matters
of faith.

Ah, but who does?

  Beats me, but the point remains that Einstein and Hawking aren't, at
least, not by virtue of their standing, the ones to do it.

That is, while I wouldn't presume to tell Hawking how to describe
the behavior of black holes, I wouldn't assume his concept of "God" is any
more solid or rational than yours, mine, Larry's, or anyone else's.
  Your appeal is noted but is misdirected; Einstein and Hawking are no more
qualified to instruct in matters of faith than any other person, and their
status in the world of science is utterly irrelevant to that qualification.

Really?  But at least they are credible witnesses in the eyes of scientists?

  They're credible scientists, but once again that's separate from faith.

Dave! -- I'm sorry to have been addressing you and others at the same time,
but your distinction of science and religion surprised me.  If others hold
that view, I want some answers!

  No harm done; clarification is good to help understanding!

    Dave!