 Off-Topic / Debate / 7787
Re: Critical Thinking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:10:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:

If you consider that creationsim has been around since Moses penned the book
of Genesis - and even before that though it wasn't written down, I guess you
can call creationism "current".
By your standard, then, most every theory known to man is "current".

  Not true!  The Geocentric earth theory is certainly not current to any
rational way of thinking, nor is the reproduction-by-stork theory.  I label
creationism a current theory because certain camps are actively promoting
its inclusion in public school curricula, whereas few scholars today assert
that equal time should be devoted to phrenology.

Also, "scientific", which you refer to, is a funny thing - it gets redefined
every time someone has evidence that doesn't fit the accepted framework. (I'll
not get into that).

  But I'll be happy to!  "Scientific" doesn't change; what you're getting at
is that science's understanding of the universe changes, and that's as it
should be.  I discuss this elsewhere in the thread.

     Dave!