 Off-Topic / Debate / 7757
Re: Critical Thinking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:16:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:

By his standard - the Big Bang theory wouldn't holdup either - AND it is far
more "current" of a theory than creationism. (sigh)

The difference, without generating yet another sub-debate, is that the Big
Bang can be retroactively derived from observable and replicable events.
The Creation reported in Genesis is by definition (as you've noted) a
supernatural event that can't be reproduced (by us).  It follows, therefore,
that since the Big Bang can be understood in terms of physics, even if we
don't yet have all the answers, it can be discussed in terms of empirical
evidence and scientific explanation.  Genesis-Creation cannot be discussed
in these terms.

Speaking as a Physicist myself... (are you??)
Physics cannot prove the Big Bang - any honest Physicist will admit, as do I,
that it is only a _theory_, indeed, one which cannot be proven.
Evidence suggests that something occurred, but evidence only takes us back to
an instant _after_ the something/the event occurred.

  All right, all right.  What I was getting at is that The Big Bang doesn't
imply any supernatural intervention, and as such it is by definition
theoretically accessible under physical theories (even if they haven't been
formulated yet).  At no time will Creationism ever be theoretically
explicable other than by resorting to ultimately circular reasoning.
  I grant you that it doesn't seem likely that we'll ever reach the 0-second
mark in terms of explanation, but we'll get close.  Hawking has recently
done work to this effect, as have other cosmologists.  Is such scientific
delving even possible for religious Creationism?  Whether you're a physicist
yourself or not, the answer is no, and that's been my whole point all along.

     Dave!