 Off-Topic / Debate / 7661
Re: Big Lar caught in his own trap (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:49:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

And now... I have you and the rest of the christians right where I want
you.... Observe. (I love it when a plan comes together)

Oh, don't flatter yourself....like it wasn't obvious! While I found your
tale extremely humorous - (which is bad because I just got out of the ICU
due to amonia (pneumonia), my ribs are killing me!! I laughed my @$$ off -
that's right, I now have no @$$!!) it is still fundamentally flawed.

It was whipped up on the spur of the moment. I'm glad it amused, and not too
worried if it wasn't perfect.

Nobody is perfect, you know, but some of us take comfort in being Forgiven,
and some of us take comfort in improving ourselves.

I know which sort I prefer. Grin.

I presume, confidently, that you refer to those who improve ourselves.
Thanx, I'm glad you prefer my sort. :)

One doesn't preclude the other. I believe I have been forgiven of quite a
lot, but I also strive to continuously improve myself. This is another of
your many misconceptions.

Do you mean to say that you have nothing for which to be forgiven? Doesn't
the idea of improving yourself imply need - that there is sufficient lack to
cause comfort in such improvements? I know you don't think yourself perfect
- I believe "nifty" was your word, which I don't dispute by the way (you've
given me hours of entertainment). Join me in this exercise: let's assume
that you are not perfect, that you faulter on, dare I say it, a daily basis.
Let's also assume that there were some sort of cosmic auditing firm that had
satellites that kept track of such failings for whatever purpose. Agreed? If
doing good is considered the norm, then each failing would result in a
deficit in the books. Is it sufficient to keep track of your own failings so
you can improve yourself *next time*? What of this time? What becomes of the
deficit created by *this* failing? Does correcting it next time account for
this time? Before you go on a tirade about how <whimper> unfair and how
<whine> harsh you think it is, stop and think about your local phone or
power company. If you you don't pay this month, do they accept payment next
month as fixing the problem and absolve you of last month's deficit? NO!
They don't. Wait a minute! Shouldn't they think you're "nifty" and accept
you the way you are? Isn't that unforgiving of them? And we know how much
don't like that, don't we? Unforgiving is <whimper, whine> unfair, isn't it?
Why, they're much worse than you for not paying you're bill, aren't they? I
mean, you improved yourself, didn't you? And it was only that one time, it's
not like you as bad as those other people.

When are you going to admit where this visceral disdain for "your"
perception of God comes from? - a perception which is terribly askew. Was it
mom? Dad? Gramma? I don't think it's your own - I think you are a
reactionary. That this is nothing original to your intellect but merely a
base emotional aversion to some religiously overbearing figure out of your
past - something I have intimated several times and which you always side
step.

Standard tyro bad debating tactic #34, when you can't attack the argument,
suggest that it's motivated by some sort of childhood trauma of the debater,
then claim that the debater is a reactionary or can't come up with anything
orginal. Very clever. Not.

More than you know.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Come come Bill... you can do better.

Actually, I did.

A *little* better, anyway, although John is right, you're out of your
league. Ahead of Jon, who walked right into that trap (of course), but still
out of your league.

Oh, because you're Lar, right? What was I thinking? I don't know what's
worse: the hype or the fact that you obviously believe it about yourself.
You can't even see that YOU'VE just been had. I just did to you what you did
to Jon, obviously much more subtly/cleverly. I turned a bunch of your own
arguments back on you.

I put together the best irrational tirade I could with just enough salt to
try to make it insultingly personal (unfortunately I don't have your
penchant for hyperboly). Sorry about the part where I mention your mom, dad
and gramma - I would normally never do such a thing - I'm glad you weren't
offended by it, I almost didn't put it in there because I thought it too
personal. Anyway...

You and those like you are always saying how religious people are usually
some sort of dolt who was raised that way and never had the intelligence to
question anything for themselves. You insult our intelligence and claim we
have no original thoughts that we haven't received thru brainwashing. Or
that we are the emotional weak who need a religious crutch.

And what did you do, you immediately ran to pride: "I'm Big Lar, you can't
out-fox me! I know stuff! Watch out, I'll drop names of some smart guy I read."

Pretty dogmatic, dontcha think?

So, go easy on ol' Jon, he did a *little* better, anyway. :)

I "sidestep" it because it's not relevant.

And I don't think it is irrelevant. How else do you explain your entirely
irrational tirades when certain points of theology are mentioned? You are
normally quite eloquent, effective and poignant. But sometimes you blow a
gasket and gush pure emotional pap. Not very intellectual, I'm afraid. And
what of that story about when you were flying from Sin-free-nati and you
told me that the guy next to you was obviously a Christian and you
purposefully dropped a few atheist code words on him, and then were annoyed
when he wouldn't stop trying to convert you! I thought that was hilarious!!
Yet, if it bothers you so much, if it's so tedious to deal with us mental
midgets, why do you wear it on your sleeve so much? Who's the martyr here?

++Lar

I've seen your type in prison a thousand times (I was an officer, not a
resident). Trying on everything, like going to a shoe store. "Hey, what's
this new philosophy...this sounds true, I believe this. Wait what's
that...another shiny philosophy, wow, I believe this, too. No, wait, there's
another thicker book with even bigger words...I believe THIS." I just think
it's foolish of man, as small as he is, to think he can sit on this ball of
dirt, look up at the infinite expanse and believe for a second that he can
figure *anything* out on his own about how we got here, who we are or where
we are going.

Bill