 Off-Topic / Debate / 7590
Re: Libertarian debate in danger of pollution (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:19:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John Neal pollutes the libertarian debate part
of our regularly scheduled ranting with god debate stuff: (grin)

God acts in the world through His people.  If I as a Christian give to
a charity, then that charity has been blessed by God (through me).  If
I as a Christian enact a series of events which prevent a war or some
other catastrophe, it is God who is ultimately the reason.  I do good
things because I am actively called to do good things, not because of
some altruistic impulse (although I am not sure of the
origin of such impulses in atheists-- perhaps they are from God?)

Reductio ad absurdium:

Lehman acts in the world through his people. If I as a LUGNet user give to a
science fiction convention organizing fund to foster a Brikwars game, then
that con has been blessed by Lehman (through me). If I as a Lego Fan enact a
series of events which make a newsgroup more fun, or custom models easier to
obtain or models wider, yea, verily, unto 8 wide, it is Lehman who is
ultimately the reason. I do fun things because I am actively called by
Lehman to do fun things, not because of some inner sense of humor. (although
I am not sure where the worshipers of MegaBloks get their ability to tell
jokes-- perhaps the jokes are from Lehman even though he says he reviles
clones? (but loves the sinner nonetheless and thus grants them a boon))

I believe you missed John's point. (Perhaps he didn't state it)...

He acts in the world not the because of the group he subscribes to, or
affiliates with.

John believes that he is not merely acting in accordance with his belief
system's source.  John believes that his belief system's source (God) actually
indwells him (not the same as possession). In John's case (and other
Christians) this is via the Holy Spirit (who is believed by Christians to be a
triune member/part of God)...

Now if the Lehman starts indwelling LUGers...
Well, just let me know where I can run to.

-Jon