 Off-Topic / Debate / 7572
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:08:50 GMT

Eric McCarthy wrote:

John Neal wrote:
... In fact, I see the world evolving the opposite way, where people are becoming more
and more *un*civil ...

I agree with you, it is very unfortunate.

For example, people swearing at others just because of their
political party affiliation:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=7349

Hoisted by my own petard? :-)  I apologize for that unfortunate "vent"-- that post was
composed in the heat of the moment, and my frustration got the better of me.  Of course, if
I were truly uncivil, I would have actually *used* swear words and directed them *at* the
people, rather than as some sort of lazy adjective.  Actually, during the infrequent times
I do swear, it is usually out of frustration of a situation, I am alone, and is never
directed at people FTF.  Irony is, I bet my little ventings are actually good for me, as
they release stress and are prolly saving me an early heart attack-- I blow, and I move
on:-)

... I have argued that man is not Good, that only God is Good.
I have also asked the question "from where does Good come?",
and have not gotten a satisfactory answer (from Atheists)...

Maybe you don't associate with liberal humanists enough. :-)

Maybe there is a reason for that:-)  But seriously, I would love to discuss with a
professed humanist what their motivations are.

There are also scientific explanations of altruism.
It might be an extension of the child-protecting instinct.
Altruism within a group of primitives trying to
survive is beneficial to the survival of the whole group,
even if one's status within the group is not improved.
So if you agree with evolution, and if a tendency towards
altruistic behavior can be inherited, then you can see how
altruism could arise without the intervention of a
divine being.

I think it is a stretch to "extend" from instincts.  Instincts are obeyed without
question.  Altruism is subjective, and I am highly skeptical that one can "evolve" from the
other.  Besides, my understanding of altruism is that it is unconditional and unselfish.  I
would think that that would be *counter* productive to evolution (nice guys finish last
idea).  Altruistic people get trampled all of the time, but they have a better
understanding of what is important in this world.

I will say this:  without God having had acted in the world over time, we as free-thinking
humans would have destroyed each other by now.  Without a moral compass that is beyond
human understanding, we are doomed.  *That* is our nature.

-John

There are some sadistic humans who seem not to have any
sense of empathy, let alone altruism.  I would not be
surprised if scientists were to find brain structures
that are specificly for empathy and/or altruism, and
to find that those humans are deficient in those brain
structures.

Re: Libertarianism
My experience agrees with both you and Dave factorial that
Libertarians tend to have an idealistic view of human
nature.  The biggest Libertarian I know always
rides a bicycle to work to avoid polluting, and he also
donates blood more often than anyone else I know.
If everyone were like him, we wouldn't have pollution
and gridlock, there would be no blood supply shortage,
and Libertarianism would work.

/Eric McC/