 Off-Topic / Debate / 7556
Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 05:17:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Low writes:

Alternate history is an obviously speculative exercise, but I don't see what
any of this (except the inquisition and crusades) has to do with
Judaeo-Christianity per se. Given that we can't really separate religion
from culture and history, how does any of the above depend on the actual
content and meaning of the Christian experience? I'm happy to grant a major
role to religious institutions (number one being the Catholic Church), but
wouldn't those structures have had the same impact no matter what version of
monotheism was preached?

My original point was that "nearly" every "significant" event in history was
in some way, big or small, effected or affected by Judaism or Christianity
that God is inactive.

Incidentally, I think 5000 years of Chinese civilisation influencing over
half the world's population is pretty historically significant and I'm not
sure how important "world changing events" are from a Buddhist perspective
that sees salvation in nothingness.

--DaveL

You're right, I was lazy on the Chinese thing. Like I said, they have made
monumental contributions to the world, but I don't think there has been
anything pivotal that had global significance.

Bill