 Off-Topic / Debate / 7554
Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:24:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

Nearly every major event in
history can be linked to Judaism or Christianity in some way (nitpick caveat
- I said "nearly").

Ummmmmmm, what are you defining as a "major event"?  Greek major events
excluded?  Roman?  Chinese?  Indian?  Japanese?  Egyptian?  Sumerian?
Assyrian?  Mayan?  Viking?  Scientific?

Again, that's why I said "nearly". I was referring mainly to such things as
the World Wars, the Reformation, the Renaissance, the Dark Ages, Israel's
significance to everything Middle Eastern (both because of location and
direct involvement), to the Inquisition, the discovery of the New
World....things that had Global impact. Yet, as far as Greek and Romans are
concerned, the link can be and has been made that the two civilizations set
the stage for the coming of the Messiah, as the Egyptians did for the
Exodus. Sumerian and Assyrian have direct Biblical relevance as well, and
are all over the Old Testament. I don't think the Vikings had any
significant role in any major global upheaval, did they? Yet as the fought
across Europe in the 800's to the 1100's they did convert to Christianity
(nyah nya nyah nya nyah nyah). I admit that I have neglected India, the Far
East and the Mayans, but again, though they have made numerous valuable
contributions to history at large, I don't think they affected any global
world changing events like those mentioned above. As far as science, many
scientific breakthroughs were made by Christians. Regardless, I said "nearly".

That's not to say that many major events weren't linked in some significant
way to Judaism or Christianity, but you'll have to excuse me raising my
eyebrows in doubt.

Bruce

Bill