 Off-Topic / Debate / 7436
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:11:50 GMT

  Uh, society is not the victim here, dude.  When talking about murder, the
victim normally is the person who was murdered, but maybe on your planet the
purpose of justice in a murder trial is to figure out how the unfortunate
slaying of an innocent person can best serve society.  Sometimes you make so
little sense...

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message
Agreed.  Absolutely.  I personally value most adults more than any fetus. • On
the other hand, I'm not sure that we want our laws to set the severity of
penalty for murder based on the societal importance of the victim.  In • that
case, killing a nine year old orphan would have less penalty than killing • your
dentist.

Yes, I had thought of that when I drafted my last post. I suppose society
has "invested" in your hypothetical 9 year old... but that is not a very
strong argument.

  So you knew you were wrong but you went ahead and said your crap.  I don't
think society is a very strong argument here.  Its just not a factor.

I suppose my original argument reflects the current trend for the views of
relatives/victims to be considered more in these matters.

   More than the views of society??? NO!  Why would anyone do something so
nuts???  The current trend???