 Off-Topic / Debate / 7320
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:41:40 GMT

Did you not get it on purpose?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:

Well, let's see.... if you want to apply the same logic, you need to choose a
comparable crime.

I did.  Murder of an adult and murder of a fetus.  You're turning it around
wrong.

So it couldn't be one that either of us would consider a
mere inconvenience, could it?

The inconvenience that my scenario runs paralell to is that of bearing a child
for nine months in your abdomen.

(Or am I wrong to think you would insinuate that
I might consider abortion such a trivial matter?)

I don't know what this means.

How about the crime of rape,
which, while not entirely the same type of violation (a fetus does not

The fetus isn't commiting the crime in the case of abortion, so turning have
the equation around makes it not work.

[snip]
Of course.  And if what you decide is right differs from what I decide is
right, I promise I won't butt in.

But you really are just missing the point entirely.  Let us say for the moment
that you are pro life.  Meaning, that you believe deep in your mind, that
killing a fetus is the same in a moral value sense as killing an adult.  OK?
Just pretend for a bit.

Now, I tell you what you are telling me: "This [murder] is a personal decision
beteen I and my spouse.  We need to decide what's right and wrong without
people in Washington butting in and deciding for us."

How do you feel about being told that whether or not to murder is a personal
decision that shouldn't be governed by law?

Chris