 Off-Topic / Debate / 7177
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 22:37:14 GMT

I believe that some crimes objectively deserve to be punished by death.

This is your second use of "objectively."  I think you'll find that it means
something other than what you think it does.  Check out www.dictionary.com.

Since I received several error messages when trying to open dictionary.com,
I will quote you one of the definitions of "objective" from The American
Heritage Dictionary Second College Edition: "2) Having actual existence or
reality."  I meant just what I said.  You and I have debated the question as
to whether fundamental absolute principles objectively, err... that is,
actually, really ,literally exist.  I say that self-evident foundational
truths do indeed exist, and I'm sure that you remember our debate in months
past in which I layed out my argument to the best of my ability.  You
disagree with me, and I respect that.  We obviously have different
presuppositions regarding the nature of reality.

Premeditated murder?  Yes.

Like military sniping?

Do you really want me to give you my opinion on that matter?  You and I no
doubt approach most issues from wholly different perspectives, but I love a
good sound parley.

Heinous brutalities?  Yes.

Like circumcision?

Are you playing devil's advocate, or do you believe that circumcision is
really a moral evil?  If you do, well... I'm not going to take issue with
your personal convictions.

Even Rape?  I'm not sure, although arguably, Yes.

Hard-core victim/agressor rape, date rape, rape-based fantasy fulfilment being
called rape by a sour-grapes girlfriend?

Rape (just so we understand our terms)as defined by The American Heritage
Dictionary Second College Edition: "The crime of forcing another person to
submit to sexual intercourse."  I mean rape.  Wait...here's another
definition: "The refuse of grapes left after the extraction of the juice in
wine-making."  Sour-grapes girlfriends?  Now I'm just confused.

The primary responsibility of the criminal
justice system is to deliver justice.

Justice is a sham.  It's a phantom.  It doesn't exist.  When possible the most
appealing remedy at hand should be sought when one treads on the rights of
another.  That's all.

Are you absolutely sure, or is that a subjective opinion?

Rehabilitation is secondary, and should

Rehabilitation is all there is.  Why are you so angry?  Why not try to help
people who obviously have a great need for it?

Again, an impass.  I believe that some things really do actually
(objectively) call for punishment.  Justice demands it.  You do not believe
that Justice Exists, so we are speaking different languages.

James