 Off-Topic / Debate / 7163
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:09:33 GMT

Fair enough.  However, I accept the definition of death as the cessation
of brain function.  That is, life does not exist in a meaningful way where
brain function does not exist.

Meaningful way?  It sounds like you're defining something other than life.
Evidence includes the fact that carrots are alive and never have brain
function.

Therefore, it follows that life begins with
the beginning of brain function.

I don't get the whole life befins argument.  Isn't it obvious that life never
stopped?  More than a billion years ago, a kind of life evolved that passed
living tissue on out of a pre-individual state into an individual state.  My
sperm is alive.  My wife's eggs are live.  When they get together, they stay
alive the whole time.  And then after a bit, there is a fetus that is also
alive.

Prior to the onset of brain function the
embryo is not a distinct life and may be terminated.

OK, it's the distinctness that you're choosing to value.

There is, I believe, substantial strength to the argument that humanity begins
at a certain point.  That at a certain point in the child's development,
something "clicks" in the human mind that transforms it from a state much less
cognitive (really, not cognitive at all) than any adult mamal, to a protohuman
mental state.  Only at that point can the child be said to be psychologically
human.  (Of course it was genetically human all along (even before
conception).)  Some people suggest that the rights-based calculus can't begin
until that "click" since rights don't apply to something that can't understand
the very concept.

Chris