 Off-Topic / Debate / 6992
Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 13:32:36 GMT

In lugnet.space, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
Hi Everyone,

Dan Jassim asked if I would spread the word on this one. He's created a LEGO
comic strip and wants everyone to check it out.

Enjoy.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin

Call me a stick in the mud, and this may be an unpopular viewpoint.

I looked at this, and I looked at the earlier "Mark goes for donuts". I
laughed a lot, both times. (I laughed at the E! jarjar mockumentary too.)
LOTS of talent went into making these graphic comics, there is no denying that.

And to a certain extent, all humor centers around the discomfiture,
misfortune, or embarrassment of others or of ourselves.

But is a storyline in which the protagonists either ignore injustice or
actively participate in it... is that storyline "good"? Is it funny, really,
to see the suffering of another who is being victimized because of his
appearance, language, or (in Jar Jar's case, he's not very bright) mental
handicap?

I just don't know. That's why I followed this up to off-topic.debate. I
expect I am going to get some replies that say "lighten up, it's all in
fun". Heck, I sort of feel that way myself. Something here is making me a
bit queasy, I can't claim that I have come to grips with it exactly. There
are no good guys, per se, in the strip, so we can't say the good guys are
doing bad things...

Talented as this work is, and as much as it made me laugh, I am not sure I
want to see a bunch of other works that all "celebrate" intolerance. or
something.

Jar Jar is a sentient being (of a fantasy world) and I suspect he has rights
and doesn't like being beat up because he talks funny or looks funny. He
didn't CHOOSE to look goofy, did he?

On the other hand, who am I to say what sort of work other people should
create or not create? I dunno.

++Lar

A general musing:

"And here", says I to myself, "a Captain named 'Ahnee' and his crew named
the 'Dipwads' all on a ship named the 'Nasal Avenger', meeting a guy named
'Spiff' who found a donut shop on an asteroid that reminded me, as I believe
it was supposed to, of the diner at the end of Spaceballs
(The Movie (tm)), with Mark's Winnebago with wings et al, seems like obvious
humor and satire. "  [1]

I almost cried, I was laughing so hard at "the scene". I guess I'm easily
amused(and laughing about it) but I didn't see that coming in a million
bricks. That's what made it so funny to me.

Dan's ships were quite seriously - and excellently - designed, with the
exception of the NA. I'm sure serious effort was put into making a humourous
craft, but I can't believe it was meant to be taken as seriously as we all
have ended of taking it. The fact Dan changed the stip shows that he didn't
think it would go that far, himself. His ending comments also say as much.

I wonder why there has been such an uproar over a beating that JJB lived
through, and not the fact that Han Solo apparently *killed* one of the
Adaloids (He's shot near the heart with a laser and a few frames later he's
in the background face down. I have to presume that means he's "dead") or
the fact that Captain Ahnee could be construed as a "Sexually Harassing Male
Chauvinist Pig" for trying to hit on the female crewmember of the rebel
carrier (if you squint really hard while reading it ;P )? I mean, really -
if the noose is around our neck we might as well jump off the horse and go
the whole way, right? Where's it going to stop?

As a passing thought, no one has come down on the .space and .mecha guys for
making scenes with LEGO 'authentic' blood for when the poor buggers get
caught on the wrong end of a Mech's foot or a Neutron Acceleration
Trans-Warp Hyper Active Pulse Tachyon DeScrambler Micro Burst Particle
Evaporator (tm).

Or on the guys building the really impressive WW II vehicles and then using
a flame thrower to 'toast' the bad guys.....

I've seen posts with people grinning and laughing at the creativity. Maybe
Dan should have put some smooth tiles around the dead Adaloid guy... or even
JJB.

Is not the fact that many of us (yes even I) are making war toys out of LEGO
something that could be disturbing, by this same measure, too? If so, how
did we get to the point of just singling out the beating silly fictional
characters.

I think, ultimately, there are things that are 'funny' that are SUPPOSED to
be just a bit disturbing. Southpark comes to mind, as do many movies...
Dogma, Something about Mary; any Rocky movie..

After all, is there proof it was /really/ a beating? I didn't see any
bruising on his little ABS body... hmm..maybe it was just staged after all..
He DID get up and run away... :) We do, however have a shot of a 'dead' Fig
laying face down in the background...

Looks like Han's got another bounty soon to be placed on his head.

Joel

[1] I'm replying to Larry, but this is more of a shotgun observation of
everyone's comments so far on the entire topic, and not to be taken as a
singled out attack on ANYONE, and certainly not on just Larry. I think he
had a vaild point in bringing up the thought provoking point as he did.
We've seen good points and bad points. Shoot, mine are probably a mix of
both. But I'm partial and think they're all good, so there. ;P~~