 Off-Topic / Debate / 6558
Re: Birthday in Solitary Confinement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:16:02 GMT

BTW, here in the UK papers and telly there's a bit of an uproar about the Tory
shadow cabinet, seems many of them have admitted using drugs as callow youths.
Some papers are once again pointing out that UK bobbies recommend
decriminalization of cannabis... wonder if Labour will have the gumption to
tackle it, or is that an uncool part of Cool Britannia?

   Or an Old part of New Labour?  :)  I picked up my Evening Standard
   today, with much blushing about Widdecombe's backtracking and various
   Tory MPs coming out about having smoked marijuana in their younger
   years.  I'd be surprised if Labour says anything about it--taking a
   position either way will earn them notice and censure from some
   part of the public, and maintaining freedom of action before taking
   a stand on a controversial issue is a venerable tradition of British
   Governments since the 1830s.

   I'd be interested to hear more about your take on this, Larry,
   since we're both reading the same papers at this particular time.
   I'm in agreement with the logic of decriminalisation, but it always
   seems that there are national policies of vagueness surrounding
   the issue whenever it comes before governments.  (The crime in fact
   being testing the limits of a government, not the act of smoking
   a bit of cannabis, regardless of how it's written up.)

   Maybe a Dutch AFOL could chime in on this?

   best

   LFB.uk