 Off-Topic / Debate / 6284
Re: who's feelin the black pack?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:32:26 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

Can't say that I've ever heard of "skin albedo" (not albeido, by the
way).  "Value" in this sense is an artist's term for relative light and
dark.

oops :)  well, spelling has never been my strong suit, but the term I was using
is correct.  I know what you meant by "value" and the technical measure of that
aspect of skin tone is the albedo, ie: how much light it reflects vs how much
is absorbed.

So, are you arguing that pale yellow is okay, or pale yellow is not okay?  One
arbitrary point on the pale end represents everyone?  Would one arbitrary
point on the dark end be acceptable to those of European descent?  Would we
see those of european descent making excuses for Lego if the latter was the
case, or wanting another color towards the pale end of the spectrum?

I'm saying that the concept of "race" is purely social, and that in this case
(an iconographic child's toy), any single given color is perfectly
representative of everyone.  If LEGO had started out using brown as the minifig
color (or black or red or blue), I would not have a problem with that at all.

As I said, my bet is that we won't see a Lando at all.

I agree.

--Karim