 Off-Topic / Debate / 6218
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:26:58 GMT

Hmm, just a random potshot here.

Essentially.  One is at an extremely basic level, the other is not.
Inferring too much from them as a matching set is fraught with hazards.
Best to make the point with some other example.

If what defines us is our use of tools and our ability to manipulate the
environment instead of just react to it, both of which are due to our ability
to reason in a self aware manner, how are a club and a nuclear weapon
different in kind? I'd say they're not. They both multiply force, one just
does it a little better than the other.

Dunno if that helps at all, or even if it's germane, if not don't mind me.

To further the line of ungermane thoughts, I think it's safe to say that more
people have died from club attack than nuclear weapons.  I'm not sure why that
seems significant at this time, but it does.

Chris