 Off-Topic / Debate / 6157
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:48:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

Here is where we diverge a bit. I'm not a vegetarian and never will be.

Never?  You allude further down to being close (at least) to buying in to • the
idea that you're rationallizing somewhere.  Mightn't you change your mind? • If
not, why not?  I am convinced that every person capable and willing to do • the
thinking will come to largely the same conclusion that that I have and • decide
that it's evil/wrong/immoral (take your pick) to eat meat when it is _so_
clearly not needed.  I expect that some of those that figure that out, won't
change out of weakness, but most of those people won't have gotten that far • in
the first place.  So anyway, I think that never is a bit bold.

I can comfortably say I will NEVER stop eating meat (barring an accident that • keeps
me from chewing/swallowing food, or meat being outlawed).  I don't care if it • is
"needed" or not, I LIKE it, I am an omnivore.

That's fine.  But you weren't the one that recognized your infirm footing.  I
would not say that to someone who was unwilling or unable to examine the moral
logic from the same premises that I do.  That may describe you.  I have
fundamental philosophical differences with many (most?) people, and so it's
hard to come to the same conclusions with them.  It has appeared over the last
two years that Larry and I share virtually identical premis-level memes.

I also feel that people shouldn't force their likes on another - so if a veg • starts
bugging me about meat, I stop the conversation right there with something

Right.  I hope that's not how I've been interpreted.  Those people bug me too.
This was the natural drift of a conversation, not my setting out as an
advocate.  And I believe what I believe and I'll express that when appropriate.
I don't discuss it at my in-laws because it's pointless and we don't share
enough moral ground (though they also believe they're taking the high ground).

Agreed on all points.  Especially that taking the moral high road is fun.

YOU may think so, but I sure don't - especially while digging into a 16 oz • steak at
Outback ;-)

I'm not a steakhouse fan (obviously) but I had understood that Outback was
fairly poor quality.  Is that not so?  Maybe only in Missouri, where I heard
the comments.

Chris