 Off-Topic / Debate / 6146
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 22:56:32 GMT

From: "Tom Stangl, VFAQman" <talonts@vfaq.com>

I can comfortably say I will NEVER stop eating meat (barring an accident that
keeps
me from chewing/swallowing food, or meat being outlawed).  I don't care if it
is
"needed" or not, I LIKE it, I am an omnivore.

I also feel that people shouldn't force their likes on another - so if a veg
starts
bugging me about meat, I stop the conversation right there with something
along the
lines of "I am an omnivore, you will not change my mind, and I'm not going to
avoid
meat in this meal just to make you happy".  I don't bug them about NOT eating
meat
unless they start bugging me about eating it (and you know, too many
vegetarians
try to convert people, it's annoying (especially WHILE TRYING TO EAT!).   I
know
many that DON'T, and I like them a lot better than the ones that do).

Agreed on all points.  Especially that taking the moral high road is fun.

YOU may think so, but I sure don't - especially while digging into a 16 oz
steak at
Outback ;-)

I'm right there with you, Tom. A good friend of mine is a vegetarian because
of the whole cruelty-to-animals thing. Every once in a while I ask him why
he wears leather. He never has come up with any kind of sensible response.

OTOH, I don't think I could kill an animal myself. So my hyocrisy is at
another level from my friend's.

I eat meat 'cause it's yummy, and I assuage my guilt by adopting dogs from
the pound instead of buying them from a breeder.  It's not perfect, but it
works for me.

~Mark