 Off-Topic / Debate / 5819
5818  |  5820
Subject:
vegetarians (was Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 17:49:45 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:
The latter.  I think the line "I eat eggs and dairy..." really gives it away
:-)

That's what I thought, 'cept the sentance "I haven't eaten (except for
trace amounts by mistake) the flesh, or derivatives, of an animal in six
years." confused me a bit- IMO dairy is an animal derivative.  Just
checking.

I noticed you're coming to brickfest, unfortunately I have another commitment
that weekend but there are several excellent vegetarian restaurants around DC
that you should check out if you have the time.
-The first is the Harmony Cafe in Georgetown- pretty close to the fest.
It's chinese/japanese in style, they will make anything on the menu totally
veg except for the Peking Duck.  Try the Vegetatian Crispy Fish.
-There's a totally vegan chinese place in Rockville, MD called The Vegetable
Garden. They make an excellent vegan pumpkin pie.
-In Vienna, VA there's a macrobiotic place called Sunflower.
-In North DC there's a Soul Vegetarian...  Good, but it's a hike.
-There's a local fastfood chain in DC, MD, and VA called Burrito Brother's all
their beans and stuff are meat free(except for the meat of course).  I would
eat here every day.
-hard times cafe is another local chain that serves excellent chili.
there's one near the fest.
-Cafe Dalat is also good. vietnamese. sorta near the fest also.
-there's a store in Bethseda called Pangea.  They sell all sorts of cruelty-free
stuff.  they have excellent vegan(lard free) donuts- Mmmm.... donuts :)

Good for you!  I've toyed with following a vegan diet, but it's not a step that
I'm ready to take for selfish reasons and my ethics don't frown on animal
husbandry in all cases (as I know some folks' do), so as I can assure
cruelty-free produce, I come closer to fulfilling my own beliefs.

Ah... I'm a resource use vegan...  animal rights are not my main concern.  I'm
pretty happy with where i am right now.  I would like to explore a more raw
foods diet, but I don't think i could do that full time.

I haven't found many biologist vegetarians.  Hmmmm...

i know a few other vegan ecologists, and a few geologists also.  we're the ones
who want to eat the donuts at meetings, but can't.  :(

-chris