 Off-Topic / Debate / 5776
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 15:28:30 GMT

OK, hopefully the kiddies are kept away from l.o-t.d

Were I to resort to eating any animals (legal consequences aside) humans • would
be equally appealing.  (Except that I might have some illogical societal
conditioning against it even though I know that logically they are morally
equivalent activities.)

Just to pursue this to a morbid conclusion, you would therefore have no
compunctions against sexual relations with any animal you found suitably
attractive,

I would apply the same standards that I do to humans...we must both be willing
and interested.  There is nothing wrong with inter-species copulation when
both (all?) parteners are willing.  (But just to be perfectly clear, I have
never personally found a member of another species attractive in that way :-)

and you would likewise be as willing to donate an organ to any
animal (antigen issues aside, in this hypothetical example) that needed it?

Well, I think this will answer your real question...the species of the
recipient is irrelevant.  If I care enough about any creature, I will certainly
do what I can to help them.  I have no bizarre discomfort with the thought of
some other creature running around with my meat in it.  I do mostly have a
discomfort with that meat not being available for me any more, though.

So if my dog needs a kidney or a bone marrow transplant, and you're the most
compatible donor, would you volunteer?

No.  I don't care at all about your dog.  No offence intended, but I wouldn't
neccessarily give bone marrow for you.  I mean, I might...I dunno.  I'd do so
to save my cats, but they're really important to me.

Chris