 Off-Topic / Debate / 5771
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 14:40:28 GMT

I don't feel that there is any moral difference between testing
drugs on Negros or homosexuals (or any other group) and testing drugs on
monkeys or cats.

Further, he must by definition be either a full vegetarian or a full
cannibal, at least in principle.

I don't think so.  By my above statements: I could be a full cannibal-but I'd
also have to think that eating other animals was OK, just not as tasty.  Or I
could eat anything that I wanted to - people, veggies, beef, whatever - • that's
still in keeping with my expressed logic.

Okay, but my point was that if you equate humans (of any group) with animals
(also, presumably, of any group), then you would see no difference between
eating people and eating "animals." Thus any meat consumption would be
equivalent to eating human flesh.

Right.  And that is, in fact, what I believe.  But I assumed by "full cannibal"
you meant that I would eat human but no other meat.  That idea can't be
logically derived from what I wrote.

Were I to resort to eating any animals (legal consequences aside) humans would
be equally appealing.  (Except that I might have some illogical societal
conditioning against it even though I know that logically they are morally
equivalent activities.)

Chris